chwarzach's development is closely tied to the Benedictine Abbey which existed here till 1803: the monastic coat of arms with crossed key and sword, has become the community seal.
The Reich monastery is first mentioned as "Suarizaha" in a transcript dating to 817 and it grew in importance until, in 994, it was granted its own market rights. Following various fires, a blaze gutted the monastery 1299 and it was again consecrated in 1302. The celebration of this later consecration is still honoured today in annual celebrations.
Ecclesiastically, Schwarzach belonged to the mother parish of Stollhofen: however, the village established its own parish under the auspices of the monastery. The parish church was first Saint Michaelis church, then the Abbey church.
In the 16th century, for administration and judiciary matters, the area was divided into two areas of responsibility, the Inner (Schwarzach) and Outer (Vimbuch)Staff. This monastic governing institution was abolished when the monastery was dissolved.
During the Thirty Years War, Schwarzach, like many other villages in the area, was completely pillaged and destroyed. Of the 110 citizens of the village only 30 survived. The village also suffered greatly during the many other wars which ravaged the area, especially during the war of Spanish Succession, when Schwarzach was adversely affected by its proximity to the Buehl-Stollhofen Line. During the Napoleon period the village was forced to raise considerable war funds and as a result many of the buildings were torn down. Today, the only remnants of the former monastic splendor of the village are the farm buildings of the monastery, with their large monastic gate, and the cathedral itself.