ffezhcim was located at the border of the Franconian "Ufgau" region and the Alemannic "Ortenau" region: the ending ""heim"" in the town's name indicates that it was within the Franconian area of settlement. Burial gifts found in 1929 on the southern border of the village (weapons, jewelry, pots, coins, etc.) indicate that this area must be considerably older that the first documented reporting in1245. It is assumed that this area was inhabited before the birth of Christ. It is known that the Romans settled in Iffezheim as the remains of an old Roman road are still visible in the southeastern part of the town's communal area.
After the fall of the Romans, this area was settled by the Alemanni and Franconians. The introduction of Christianity (8th/9th century) to the area was conducted by Irish and Scottish monks who built simple churches. It is not surprising then, that the local patron saint of the area, until the end of the 16th century, was Saint Brigiota of Kildare, Ireland.
In 1493 the town was united with the town of Sandweier on a political and ecclesiastical level and belonged to the Office of Stollhofen. In 1571 the two towns were partially separated for administrative purposes but complete separation did not occur till the end of the 19th century.
The town was almost totally destroyed during the Thirty Years War by the Swedes and the French and had hardly recovered from this war when the French again invaded the area. The ravages of war were to continue through the Napoleon wars and on to the attacks of Prussian troops in1849. This latest assault was followed by twenty years of continuing crop failures, unemployment and epidemics. Due to this continuation of desperate conditions, the area saw a large number of its population emigrate to North America.
The situation in the area began to improve towards the end of the 1800s and the construction of a racetrack in 1871, under the care of the International Club, along with newly developing industry brought prosperity to the area. Transportation methods improved with the complication of the Rastatt-Schwarzach railroad line which connected to theca main Frankfurt-Basel line.