astle and citadel, official city and scat of justice, as well as mother parish, are all key points in the history of Stollhofen. It is first mentioned in a document dated 1154 as "Stadelhofen", and in the 13th century it was elevated to city status. By 1472 the "Stollhofen Office" (community authority) was established, whose powers extended to Rastatt and across the Rhine. The city was sold by Abbot John of the Schwarzach monastery to Margrave Christoph of Baden in 1490 and the left side of the village's divided coat of arms depicts the "Baden Balk" while the right side shows the key from the Schwarzach monastic heraldry.
Little evidence remains that one of the most highly militarized castles in this area stood in Stollhofen: this was the scat of the noble lineage known as "von Stollhofen", which originally owned the mayor's office as a fief of the Schwarzach Abbey. Later the castle was a feudal tenure of' various noble families and then became the scat of the margravial bailiff.
Stollhofen's judicial system was originally exercised by the Schwarzach Abbey, and everyone attended the hearing, usually held on Tuesdays, at the "Gerichtsplatz" (court square)" unter den Tannen" (under the fir trees). Once Stollhofen had been sold, the court also fell under Baden's administration. The place of executions was located outside the city on thc road to Lichtenau.
Since the "Reichsstrasse" (imperial road), with its brisk traffic, ran through Stollhofen, the city played an important role as an escort station. Even more important, traffic passing had to pay customs duties to the manorial customs officer according to the local tariff rates. Later the city gained importance as a postal and relay station.
Outside the city walls stood the Saint Cyriak Basilica, which had been fortified. This was totally destroyed in the Thirty Years' War as was most of the city. The Erhard chapel, which was located within the walls, served as the city's place of worship until the Saint Erhard parish church was erected in 1769. This church was built in Baroque style and its typical onion tower is clearly visible as a local land mark.
Stollhofen has witnessed many armed conflicts including the Peasants' War and the Thirty Years War. During the War of Spanish Succession the citadel of Stollhofen acted as focal and corner point in the "Buhl-Stollhofen Lines", the city was finally conquered in 1707 and the fortifications of the city were demolished. Today only the narrowly constructed streets and their names remind us of Stollhofen's great past