ittle is mentioned about the town of Steinmauern, "the wall of stone on the Rhine", in medieval documents: however, the town is first referred to in 1239. Finds of Roman coins indicate that the area was inhabited during the Roman era and it is possible that some habitation has existed in the district since that time. In 1326 it is recorded that the town was the property of the Margraves of Baden, Friedrich and Herman.
The village's main source of industry was, in early history, based on its location at the junction of the Rhine and Murg rivers. Large rafts of wood were floated down the Murg from the forest and were joined to other rafts for their journey down the Rhine. Its present location, 4 km from the Rhine is a good indicator of how the course of the river has changed over the years. Because of its location at the junction of these two rivers that the town became a major customs post and a site for crossing the rivers. A review of the town given in the early 1800s emphasizes the number of inns in the town which would indicate that it was a favorite of travelers.
The village church is first mentioned in 1481: however the community was not independent and was a part of the parish of Elchesheim. It was in this year also that gold was found in the area and gold panning in the river brought a certain amount prospetery to the area. Steinmauern first became an independent parish in 1768 and the church which stands in the village to this date, was constructed in 1838.