oellingen is first documented in 1291: however its origins are far older than that, as evidenced by the ancient burial mound which was found within the town's boundary. When the mound was excavated in 1881, it was found to be that of a noblewoman and artifacts made of bronze, amber and gold were found. The artifacts dated to the Hallstart period of 600 B.C.
Soellingen was located at an old bend in the Rhine River and the consequences of being close to the river took its toll. The ravages of floods far outweighed the benefits of the ease of shipping, and it wasn't until the Rhine's course was corrected that ownership rifles for land could be established. In more modern times, the construction of the Iffezheim levy has done much to change the shape of the landscape in the area.
Soellingen formerly belonged to the Schwarzach Abbey and the inhabitants were considered to be "Sankt Petersleute" (Saint Peter's People). When Soellingen was sold to the Margrave of Baden in the 15th century, the town's escort station and customs post also changed ownership. These institutions were a source of wealth for many nobles on both sides of the Rhine and the noble family "yon Soellingen" had resided in Strasbourg since the 14th century.
The earliest church records of Saint Mauri-tius (whose symbol is found on the town's coat of arms) date back to the 14th century when close bonds existed with the mother parish of Stollhofen. Around 1700 the town's chapel was enlarged into a church and in 1805, the town was established as an independent parish through the benevolence of "kurfurstlicher Durchlaucht" (the Electoral Serene Highness). In 1842 the corner-stone was laid for the construction of the present church, which was designed by J.L. Wienbrenner.
Soellingen was almost totally destroyed during the Thirty Years War as the village was unfortunate enough to be right in the middle of military conflicts. When construction of Fort Louis on an island lying immediately in front of the town, was undertaken in 1689, a countering detached fort was constructed at Soellingen. The town suffered greatly during both the Polish and Austrian Wars of Succession due to its position immediately in front of Fort Louis. Once more in 1814, the village played an important role in the military affairs of the region as allied troops crossed the Rhine at this location. Today, "Russenstrasse" (Russian Street) is a reminder of this period in the town's history.