he Royal Canadian Regiment was formed on the 21st of December 1883. During it's history, it has served Canada, the British Commonwealth and the United Nations with pride and distinction. The most memorable eras in the Regiments history arc based on military campaigns including the Northwest Rebellion (1885), the Yukon Field Force Campaign (1896-1900), the South African War (1899 1900), WWI (1914-1918), WWII (1939-1945), Korea(1951-1953) and the Gulf War (1990-1991).
The Third battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment was formed on 10 January, 1951 at a time when the Regiment was being expanded to allow troops to be sent both to Korea and to NATO duty in Europe. For the next two years it underwent intensive training in Wainwright and Petawawa, being embarked for Yokohama, Japan on 26 February 1953.
On 31 March 1953, 3 RCR conducted a relief-in-place with 1 RCR and took over responsibility for a part of the Korean battlefield. The first unit casualties came from shelling on 22 April. On 02 May 1953, C Coy of 3RCR was in position on Hill 187 when it was attacked by a battalion of Chinese infantry. The battle raged for the next eight hours but at the end of the nights fighting C Coy still occupied Hill 187. This battle is still commemorated by the unit. Lt E.H. Hollyer, commanding 7 Platoon was awarded the Military Cross for ordering artillery fire on his own position in order to beat off the enemy attack.
3 RCR arrived back in Canada in 1954 to find out that the Canadian Infantry forces were being reorganized. On July 21st, 1954 it became 1st Battalion, Canadian Guards. 3 RCR was reformed as a battalion on the 6th of July 1970, shortly after the Canadian Guards and two other units were struck from the Regular Force Order of Battle.
3 RCR was garrisoned in Petawawa, Ontario from 1970-1977 during which time it completed several tours of UN duty in Cyprus and participated in many exercises across Canada, the USA and in Norway. 3 RCR made it's first move to Germany in 1977 when it took over the North Marguerite at CFB Baden from 3 Canadian Mechanized Commando. It remained in Germany until 1984 fulfilling its NATO commitment as part of 4 CMBG before rotating back to Canada in 1984. The battalion spent 1984 to 1988 m Winnipeg where it served as part of the "Army of the West". It completed another tour of UN duty in Cyprus and got to see a lot of the Canadian West especially the training areas af Wainwright, Shilo, Dundurn, and Suffield.
In 1988 the unit returned to its "second home" on the Rhine where it has so many fond memories of great training excersises, good competition with other units at Baden and the chance to travel and enjoy European culture. This tour has also had the adventure of a deployment to the Gulf for the members of M Company and to Bahrain for a platoon from P Company during the Gulf War.
Now in its final year of service in Germany, the unit thought it was safe from outside tasking's. But in February 1992, 3 RCR was tasked to send a 300 man contingent to Yugoslavia to help restore peace. N Company, Reconnaissance Platoon and our Pioneers returned to Germany in early October 1992 to help finish the job of moving the battalion from Germany back to Borden in the summer of 1993. At CFB Borden, 3RCRwill carry on but with a slightly different mandate. It will function as a 10% Regular Force 90% Militia Battalion (10/90 Bn) as part of the "Total Force" concept detailed in the latest restructuring of the army and brought about by the 1992 Federal Budget.
3 RCR has been proud to have a partnerschaft unit in the German Army. 252 Fallschirmjaeger Battalion, an Airborne battalion located at the Eisberg Kaserne in Nagold has been 3 RCR's partner unit since 1977 and was formally signcd on as a partnerschaft on a battalion parade in July of 1979. The two units have cooperated closely on many exercises since that time and have also managed to have fun competing against one another in military' and civilian events. Parachutists from both units have enjoyed many days of "jump bivouacs" around the German countryside.
3 RCR's major piece of equipment has been the M113A1 and its variants. The Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) has a .SO calibre Machine Gun mounted on the crew commander's cupola. Some APC's were modified to carry the 81 mm Mortar, the battalion's main indirect fire support weapon, while a new TOW Under Armour variant provides anti-tank support to the battalion. The unit has used a variety of support equipment over the years including APC Dozer's, APC MRTs and APC Ambulances. Wheeled vehicles have been used as offices, kitchens, repair and storage units and for the transportation of personnel and cargo around the battlefield.
THE RCR CAP BADGE
The letters VRI on the RCR Cap Badge stand "VICTORIA REGINA IMPERA-TRIX", which is Latin for "Victoria, Queen and Empress". The right to wear the Imperial Cypher and Crown was granted by Queen Victoria in 1893. When a Royal or Imperial Cypher forms part of the badge of a regiment it is normal for it to change with each succeeding sovereign. In 1919, however, King George V granted the Royal Canadian Regiment permission to wear "VRI" in perpetuity - a unique privilege.