n 1 June 1945, a new battalion of the PPCLI was authorized to form part of the Canadian Pacific Force in a Campaign against Japan. Its official designation was 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, 2nd Canadian Infantry Regiment. The Battalion assembled at Camp Shilo and then moved to Camp MacDonald for training. After the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, in early August by atomic bombs, and Japan's subsequent surrender on 15 August the Pacific Force was disbanded. Until a decision was reached to form a Permanent Force the holding establishment was named the "Interim Force". Because of this change the new battalion was redesignated on 2 September, 1945, as the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.
In 1946, the "Interim Force" was gradually abolished in order to re-constitute the Canadian Army Active Force. The existing battalion became once again a component of the "peacetime" Army and on 1 March, 1947, the battalion was redesignated Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.
In 1948, the Patricia's became Canada's first peacetime airborne battalion. The Regiment formed part of the nation's "Mobile Striking Force" which later became known as the Defence of Canada Force.
On 15 August, 1950, Second Battalion of the Regiment was formed as part of the Canadian Army Special Force. On the same date, the serving unit was designated First Battalion.
Second Battalion trained at Sarcee and Wainwright. On 26 November, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel J.R. Stone, DSO, MC, the Battalion sailed from Seattle, Washington, on the PRIVATE JOE P. MARTINEZ bound for Pusan, Korea.
A Presidential Unit Citation was won at Kapyong, Korea on 25 April, 1951, by Second Battalion, while serving with the 27th British Commonwealth Brigade. Transferred to 25 Canadian Infantry Brigade of the British Commonwealth Division, the Battalion completed its tour of duty in the fall of 1951.
Second Battalion was relieved in Korea by the First Battalion and returned to Calgary to take over the airborne role.
During the summer of 1953, First Battalion, Second Battalion (Airborne) and the Regimental Depot were in service together at Currie Barracks, Calgary, Alberta. In September, the Colonel-in-Chief reviewed her Regiment, (less Third Battalion, which was still in the Korean Theater), when a large number of the "Old Guard", veterans of World Wars I and II, were present.
In October, 1953, Second Battalion departed for service in Germany to join the 1st Brigade as part of Canada's contribution to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
In the fall of 1955, Second Battalion returned to Calgary as an airborne unit.
In 1957, the Regimental Depot and Second Battalion occupied the new Home Station at Griesbach Barracks, Edmonton, Alberta.
In the fall of 1966, Second Battalion replaced First Battalion in Germany.
The Second Battalion continued permanent residence in Germany until announcement on the 19th of September 1969, that they would return to Canada and be stationed in Winnipeg, Manitoba, which occurred in the summer of 1970.
From October 1972 to April 1973, Second Battalion served in Cyprus with the United Nations Force.
On 17 May 1973, Second Battalion's barracks in Winnipeg were renamed Kapyong Barracks, in honor of that Battalion's heroic stand at Kapyon, Korea, on April 24/25,1951.
The Reviewing Officer on this historic occasion was Colonel J.R. Stone, DSO, MC, CD, who commanded Second Battalion at the Battle of Kapyong.
From April 1976 to October 1976 and again from September 1982 to April 1983 Second Battalion served in Cyprus with the United Nations Peacekeeping Force.
The Second Battalion departed Winnipeg in July 1984 for Baden-Soellingen, West Germany to commence a four year tour of duty with Canada's NATO forces. The Battalion returned to Winnipeg in July 1988.