View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:50 pm
Posts: 461
Location: St John's NL
Information by Christina Eden:
Folks the BRATS CITIZENSHIP ISSUE is rearing its ugly head. Here is the problem.
In 1947 the Canadian government created the REGISTRATION OF BIRTH ABROD. This was issued to all brats born overseas until 1977. At that time the Registration of Birth Abroad was cancelled and in its place they issued the newborn a citizenship card.
Where they went wrong is that they cancelled the Registration of Birth Abroad and they expected that the parents of those babies born prior would replace that paper and in its place get the citizenship card. Most do not realize that this new citizenship card has a dual purpose. One for immigrants who become citizens and a birth certificate for those born abroad to a Canadian parent.
Resolution of this is simple. You go onto the web site Apply Proof of citizenship
1. either down load the application form or apply for one
2. pay the application fee $75 which you can do online.
3. submit the application
processing time up to 6 months.
You will need your Registration of Birth Abroad. If you do not have it then you can apply through D.N.D. Archives for a copy from your father's military records.
if you are in a situation where you need this ASAP then there is a process on that same web site.
I always stress that you take that Registration of Birth Abroad to a Notary and get 2 certified copies. Send one copy and keep the other and the original in safe place.
You do not need your foreign birth certificate.
If you have a D.N.D. plastic card that looks very official. forget it. That was given to your parents in order for you to access the base/dentist/doctor and has no legal value.
And if you get totally stuck then email me with your phone # and a time to call you and I will call on Skype.
If you think that you are okay because you have a passport then when you go to renew you won't be able to. If you lose your driver's license again the same story,. Again with your medical care. If you go to apply for any pensions then you will again have to prove your status as a Canadian. When you go to the front counter to query this remember that the last person hired is the one you see at the counter. They do not know anything about this.
Christine Eden

link to Brats Proof of Citizenship Guidance by Christine Clark Wallace Eden ... 1605466624

Christine Eden can be contacted via Facebook

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF