View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Choloy War Cemetery Photos 

Post Choloy War Cemetery Photos
I am the son of F/L Edward John Walshe CD. Our family was posted at RCAF Grostenquin in 1963. I have recently returned from my visit to the four former RCAF NATO bases, Vimy Ridge Memorial (where my grandfather Pvt. Richard Francis Walshe participated in the Battle of Vimy Ridge with the Canadian 51st Artillery Division), and of course Choloy War Cemetery, where my father is buried beside Sgt. Peter Antoon Bach CD, F/L Verner Isador Clouthier CD, F/L John Kenneth Hamlen, and F/L Britton Lyall Johnston CD - all killed in the crash of Bristol Freighter 9697 at RCAF Marville on Dec 30, 1963.

On one of my visits to Choloy War Cemetery, I captured photographs of all grave markers in the post World War II section and civilian dependents sections on a beautiful Sunday morning in May.

I would love to share these photos with any of the interested members of this website. I have a Microsoft OneDrive account where these photos reside and will grant access to anyone who is interested.

I only require your email address to grant access.

Please mention if you are also interested in photos of any of the four former RCAF NATO bases and Vimy Ridge Memorial.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:57 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Re: Choloy War Cemetery Photos
I forgot to mention just a couple of the great by-products of my experiences in Lorraine this past May.

I have connected with Shirley Hearn and her father, Colonel AJ Bauer. They were stationed, as was our family, at RCAF Grostenquin during 1963. I am very much looking forward to meeting them both sometime in person!

Visiting the church in Lelling, France, I met the former mayor of Lelling (near RCAF Grostenquin - I believe his tenure ended in 1968) - a Mr Schultz who graciously invited me into his home and also his sister's home which has a plaque dedicated to the patron of the region since he had been born there.

Also met the 'Senateur de la Meuse' of the region near RCAF Marville, Mr. Claude Biwer, who fondly remembered the 'glory days' when the Canadians were in the region.

Mr Biwer is still giving visitors to the region a tour of RCAF Marville - he has two wonderful hotels in Marville...Le Relais and Le Renaissance...I highly recommend both for a wonderful experience.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]