View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Der Kanadier’s Shirley Whittington Collected Works Published 
Site Admin

Post Der Kanadier’s Shirley Whittington Collected Works Published
By Pat Whittington

Remember reading about the Squire and the Kid in Der Kanadier during the 70s and 80s? In my family, Shirley’s weekly column was eagerly anticipated as a slice of Canadiana when we were posted to AFCENT (’76-’79) and Lahr (’79-’83).
Five years after leaving Germany, I met and later married Shirley’s youngest son, Stephen (yes, the Kid). Shirley was as warm and funny in person as she was in her writing. For the 25 years that I knew her, I (and many other fans) encouraged her to collect her columns into a book. Before she passed away two years ago, Shirley requested that memorial donations be made in her name to the local library in Midland. The Chief Librarian of the Midland Public Library suggested that we use the funds to publish a collection of her writing. The book is now ready and is being launched on November 9 in Midland, with all proceeds going to the library.
You’re Probably Happier Than You Think is a book of articles spanning Shirley’s career as a syndicated columnist from 1973 to 1986. Her witty and realistic take on everyday family life reached audiences across Canada and even Europe. She was frequently referred to as

Canada’s Erma Bombeck and her writing has been described as sharp-witted, warm and life-affirming.
Shirley was a Midland resident for close to 50 years. In addition to her syndicated column, she was published in Readers Digest, the Globe and Mail, and the Toronto Star, among many other publications. Her extensive community involvement included volunteer leadership roles with the Midland Public Library Board, The Huronia District Hospital Board, and the local Branch of the Canadian Cancer Society.
Shirley also enjoyed painting, and samples of her artistry grace the pages and cover of the book.
Copies of You’re Probably Happier than You Think will be for sale at the book launch on November 9 from 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM, and through the library’s website at

http://www.midlandlibrary.com/shirleywhittington

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]