View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Lahr Brat's adopting Haiti child get runaround under Citizen 
Site Admin

Post Lahr Brat's adopting Haiti child get runaround under Citizen
By Sarah Currie

My husband and I were both born at CFB Lahr in the late 1970s. Because of amendments to the Citizenship Act in 2009, our birth outside of Canada to parents serving their country prevents us from passing our citizenship on to the child we are adopting. Any other Canadian (born or naturalized) adopting internationally is entitled to bring their child into Canada with the full rights of citizenship. We believe that this is discrimination. If you, as fellow "base brats," wish to lend your support to our request that Minister Jason Kenney introduce amendments to the Citizenship Act that do not classify the children of Cold War veterans as "Canadians of Convenience," please read our story at the attached link and consider signing our petition.
Sincerely, Sarah Currie

http://www.karygiannis.net/babysmith

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ottaw ... story.html

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Lahr Brat's adopting Haiti child get runaround under Cit
Follow Up:

By Sarah A Currie

I just got off the phone with two people at Case Management for CIC in Ottawa. The bad news is that our citizenship application will indeed be denied. The slightly better news is that they are apologetic and will attempt to expedite our sponsorship and immigration application to whatever extent they are able. According to Canada Post, the sponsorship application was received in Mississauga on June 4. The clock is ticking. Our son will be able to enter the country. I am not sure when, and this is not how I wanted him to come home, but at least there is some piece of mind. I want to thank everyone who wrote letters, signed petitions, sent emails, and voiced their support for my family. I really believe that the mounting public pressure helped us get this answer today. However, I do not feel that this fight is over. Although my situation is on its way to resolution, I now know that the limitation of citizenship to one generation born abroad affects many, many people. Many of those affected are the children of soldiers, sailors, air crew and diplomatic staff. These are people who we have asked to serve their country by being willing to make huge sacrifices. Their children are not Canadians of convenience. In many cases, their children grow up to serve as well. They deserve to have their unique commitment and dedication to Canada recognized, and the Citizenship should be amended appropriately. Who's with me?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]