View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Highway of heroes/Baden airPark 

Post Highway of heroes/Baden airPark
I recently took part for the first time in the watching of the the hearses containing the bodies of soldiers killed in action passing by on the 401.The smartest thing the government of Ontario did was to rename the stretch of highway from Trenton to Toronto The Highway of Heroes.I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was quite sombre. I am however glad that I did it, and plan to,unfortunately, do it again.I would recommend it for anyone that can do it.
I have also been playing with Google Earth, and have been looking at the old base, now called Baden AirPark.Hardly recognizable to tell you the truth. Same as for Weitenung. Very hard to find that village.Anyone in here that lived there remember what street the PMQ's were on?
Randy MacDonald.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:19 pm

Post Baden Air Park
The Former Base is now a prosperous national airport. There is a lot of "hustle and bustle" there now with daily flights to Berlin. Holiday destinations include such places as Mallorca,Krete,The Canary Islands,with regular flights to London, and many more places. My wife and I watched a T.V. movie the other night that had some scenes of people checking in at Baden Air Park. The ladies car in the movie had Rastatt licence plates and she was driving one of the Rastatt produced,"B-Class" Mercedes (a compact Mercedes). Yes, the area has changed alot! Hugie is growing more every year. What used to be spargel fields are now streets full of brand new houses. It´s nice to see the local people flourishing in the area but I always feel a little sentimental when I think back on those great times when The Canadians were here. Went to a hockey game in the former Schwarzwald Arena last week. The Canadian Flag that was painted on the wall by the spectators section is still there! We will never forget "those good ol´times"!!!

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:38 am
Profile E-mail

I can't help with street names but there were three PMQ areas in vietnung when we lived there (76-79). Comming fron the base the S/NCO's area was off to the left (north). You turned right at the main intersection, across a bridge, right again, left on Canadastrass (maybe Kanadastrass) to the second area. On the south end of town was the third area that consisted of four large 4 story apt blocks where the PMQ store was located. These were beside a drainage canal that ran through town. There was a Vietnung web site to do with the pocal Fashing club I believe. It might have a map.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Post Re: Highway of heroes/Baden airPark
tinyguy wrote:
I recently took part for the first time in the watching of the the hearses containing the bodies of soldiers killed in action passing by on the 401.The smartest thing the government of Ontario did was to rename the stretch of highway from Trenton to Toronto The Highway of Heroes.I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was quite sombre. I am however glad that I did it, and plan to,unfortunately, do it again.I would recommend it for anyone that can do it.
I have also been playing with Google Earth, and have been looking at the old base, now called Baden AirPark.Hardly recognizable to tell you the truth. Same as for Weitenung. Very hard to find that village.Anyone in here that lived there remember what street the PMQ's were on?
Randy MacDonald.

Hi, we were one of the first two families that lived in the Sgt/WO PMQs there. Moved in about the first of August/70, still remember our address was 70/6 Witstunger Strasse. Of the four blocks, ours was the only finished altho the others were squared away very shortly after. And to think I took for granted looking at the Black Forest from our balcony... :shock:

Came to Baden in 08/70, as a brat was part of the brown invasion from Hemer; dad was Sgt. R.S. Turner(deceased). High school Gr.XII to 6/71, worked at AMU to 8/72 with Andy Jack & Art Walsh. Loved our time there, email if you remember me our family.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:16 pm
Profile E-mail

Gary you are right Witstunger Strasse it is since I lived below you at the same time, moved in in 71 until 75, of course as D/D. The name of the street on the other side where the canex groceteria was, was called Hoffenmattstrasse or something pretty close to that if I remember correctly. Sure miss the schnitzel and beer.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]