View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Stuck in the 70s 

Post Stuck in the 70s
Is anyone beside me stuck musically in the 70's? Well I have create a music stream that plays nothing but 70's music 24/7. You may even hear me jump in a DJ from time to time just to satisfy that urge that started back at CFNS. Right now I have a limit of 30 listeners at one time so if you can't connect then it's probably max'ed out. There is no cost for this to you to listen. If there is enough of a demand I may increase the number of folks that can listen. It costs me to do this so if you can't connect consistently then let me know at mjhannan@gmail.com .

Here's the link to listen

http://mega3.radioserver.co.uk:8306/listen.pls

This link should start whatever music player you use on your computer. Let me know what you think. I am constantly adding to list playlist.

Mike

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:43 pm
Profile E-mail

Post Stuck in the 70's
Hello Michael,
I worked at CFB Baden in various capacities (At Canex hifi dept, Sony rep and then the Amextra rep) from '76 - '95 and loved listening to CFNS and yes, I am stuck in the 70's, besides the late 60's, the best music ever written and played.
Have a look at www.live365.com, you can also set-up your own online station there and I believe it's free.
I like your station and have bookmarked it - thanks for the great tunes.
Keep rockin!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Yep I remember you from the stereo department. Like many others I left with a pretty good sound system. Sue McDermaid sent me an email about listening too and mentioned she was the toy lady at Canex. Couldn't remember were the toys were but I'm thinking they were next door with the sports equipment. I DJ'd with an internet station that streamed through Live365 and there is a fee involved but thanks for the idea. Glad you are enjoying the tunes. I have plans for expansion that will allow for listener requests. I hope to have that running by the end of May.

Mike

Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:55 pm
Profile E-mail

Your name sounds very familar but I can't place a face to it or your voice on Q, but nice you remember me.
I still have some contact with Sue.
Yes, toys were in the sports dept. bldg, to the right of the main store. When I was working there Don Thibert was the supervisor, he also played in a local band called PAZ, remember.
I am still involved in audio, but now have an import/export company dealing in pro audio equipment and live in Brazil.
I prefer the live365 format and there are like 10K+ stations to choose from. I have actually considered staring a station myself with my over 6000 LP's dating from the 50's till the early 90's.
Keep rockin!
Gord

Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:08 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Post Toy Dept.
Hi Gord... me again! Just read your reply to Mike, and have to correct you on the Toy Dept. location. It was in the main Canex building, just off the Housewares Dept. We also kept stationery supplies and pens there too, as well as American Greeting stuff(cards and gift wrap). Actually, the Men's washroom was inside the Toy Dept. Toys and Sports were in the same building in the Lahr Canex, however.
Take care, and watch out for those girls from Ipanema!

Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:47 pm
Profile E-mail

Great to hear from you again and of course you are absolutely correct on the toy store location. I guess all those Pils and Popcorn fried my memory banks.
How ya doing?
Speaking of the mens' washroom, were you at Canex when I cellophaned the ladies toilets and no one noticed till it was too late? I was never caught!
What about the time I started making the daily announcements, of course before the store opened, in my German concentration camp accent and then Frau Schnoor walked in, she just laughed and said get back to work.
Were you there when we had the Xmas party at the RI where we did some skits, like four of us males dressed in pink mini-skirts and halter tops dancing to Singing in the Rain?
Oh man, the Canex times were unforgetable.
Drop em a line sometime.
Cheers
Gord alias Dr. Gonzo

Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:53 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ

Hi Gord. I definitely don't remember the cellophane on the ladies' toilet. I think I remember the microphone thingy, but am not sure about the skit. It rings a bell, but I'm not sure if I actually was there, or if someone from Canex that I corresponded with described it in detail. There are so many meories from our time in Germany(1969-1982), and it was so long ago, that some of them are a bit hazy. There was one Canex Christmas party that I will always remember. I'm not sure what year it was, but it was in the Ambassador Lounge on a Saturday night. The reason it stands out in my mind is that Mrs. Jones and her husband sat with Dennis from the grocery store(previously from the stereo dept.), and left Frau Schnorr and her husband totally alone, both for the dinner and the dance afterwards. I thought that was so inconsiderate, and actually felt embarrased for Frau Schnorr. Oh well, nobody evre said life was fair.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:52 pm
Profile E-mail

I remember the beginning of that Xmas bash well, but the remainder of the evening is, as you said, hazy.
I really respected Frau Schnoor, her and I got along well, but she could be a real Fuehrer at times and got on peoples cases, so I can understand Dennis's and Frau Jones behaviour quite well, it must have been on e of those days.
Although almost everyone cursed Canex, or as some called it Swinex, it was a great time with some awesome people.
I saw Dennis a few years back, along with Tim Greensil, Gerry Tracy, Syd Phillips and a few others, sadly many of them have passed away and now only the memories exist - but all good ones.
Keep smirkin!
Gord

Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:01 pm
Profile E-mail ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]