View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 CFNS in Baden 
Post CFNS in Baden
This is the Canadian Forces Network; CFNS in Baden. I was at the station from 1976-79 and also wrote for Der Kanadier - Baden Bits, which was anonymous until I returned to Canada in July 1979. I often wonder where everyone went although we came to Petwawa with Pat Eager who I believe lived near Pembroke.
What a lot of great memories to have; great team to work with. I still have my radio passes.
I originally did Afternoon in Baden as my introduction to the programming and later took over from Gord Cordick at Country Classics. Anyone remember the train through your headset?
I have four taped shows including Bill Hatch's last show and three of mine from Country Classics including my last one. Probably my best effort was a John Denver Special.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:40 pm
Post Re: CFNS in Baden
Hi Marilyn, Still alive and kicking in Chilliwack. Still doing volunteer radio work although remotely from home via the internet these days. How technology changes. Funny part is that I am now playing what the young folks on the Hideaway show used to play back then. Now it's called classic rock. <A HREF="http://www.9412.com" TARGET="_blank">www.9412.com</A> for those interested. On air name Michael Jay. It's not quite the same as seeing each other face to face but we meet in a station owned chat room and have fun. Anyhow, last I heard Paul Haswell was married and living in Hamilton. Danny Danyluk was in Ottawa last I heard but that was years ago. Cathy Duncan and Holly Patton have been seen around here from time to time. Holly is/was in BC and Cathy in NS. Patti Bagnell has been here too. Oh ya, and Wayne Anderson too. He's down east I believe.

Great to see you here and remember those days.

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 pm

I regret to inform you,that my father, Pat Eagar, died suddenly in his home in Petawawa, Ont, early Thanksgiving morning. He loved CFNS and still had a mint condition CFNS sticker in his desk drawer. His time in Baden was a highlight in an adventurous life.
"You're listening to Sunday Sounds, On CFNS Baden-Soellingen and I am your host Pat Eagar, Your voice in the Rhine Valley..."[/b]

Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:58 pm

It's always sad to hear of another friend passing. I remember Pat very well. I recall that at one point the CO that CFNS fell under wanted the music played on Sunday mornings to be more mindful of the significance of 7th day. Well, Pat being Pat, he decided to rock the boat a tad. He dug out a country song entitled "Dropkick Me Jesus Through The Goalposts of Life". No sooner had he announced the name of the song when the studio chair he was sitting on collapsed under Pat leaving him sitting on the floor. I was in the the station that morning and peeked through the small window in the on air studio door just in time to see Pat as he scrambled to get back up and turn off the microphone. Needless to say the music he played for the remainder of that show was respectful of the day. LOL Rest well my friend.

Mike Hannan
CFNS 1977-1980

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:54 pm
Profile E-mail

Thank you for that story. It would seem that every person I hear from seems to have another tale. He was just that kind of guy.

Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:26 am

These past several years I oftened wondered how Pat Eager was; he returned to Canada with us in 1979 to Petawawa (on the same plane as us) and I also recall his time at CFNS. When I lived in Wainwright in from 1982 - 1993, Pat came out for RV92 and we met for brunch at the Honey Pot and we shared some wonderful memories from CFNS as well. I do recall he bought a house somewhere between Petawawa and Pembroke.
Pat was a good friend and loved his family.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 pm

Post Paul Haswell
Paul passed away on March 31, 2008.

Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:56 am
Profile E-mail

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of those CFNS folks who made our days feel so Canadian and my sympathies to the families of those we've lost. I am looking to find Holly Patton again as I lost her e-mail when my computer crashed. Mike, if you see Holly, please tell her to get her butt on here, LOL!

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 pm
Profile E-mail

Jan. 24, 2017. I worked at the radio station in 1955. I thought it's call sign was CFBS. Perhaps it changed or my memory fails me. We moved from a very low output transmitter (only could be hear as far as the PMQs), working in a small space, to a more powerful station, with all new German studio and transmitter equipment and a real radio station studio setup. The new transmitter was on air, perhaps a month or so. I believe the intentnion was to allow all personnel, living off the base, to hear the station. The local German radio stations started complaining that we were taking away their listeners. So, G/C B. Christmas, the station commander, ordered it closed down for "diplomatic" reasons. Regards Don MacLeod, Lr. Sackville, N.S.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 pm
Profile E-mail
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]