View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Book research - Schwarzwald Arena 
Post Book research - Schwarzwald Arena
Last year I started a project to replace the photographic history of CFB Baden-Soellingen's Schwarzwald Arena. I received many photos and replies and I would like to thank all those who contributed. Because your response was so overwhelming I have decided to research the history (complete) and possibly write a book of the building's history and the events that took place in it...all of it.

Therefore, if there is anyone out there who has stories, fond memories of events; hockey, broomball, figure skating, special hockey games, fasching parties or curling please send me your experience and we will make every effort to get it into a book. All the better if you have photographs that I could include.

At the moment I'm looking at covering the history in a chronological order. Recently, I discovered that the building was built in 1955 (Art Gauthier). The first recorded photos are from 1960/61. As far as I can determine the building only had one name under Canadian control..."Schwarzwald Arena" Today it's called the Baden Airpark Arena.

I hope to hear all your stories and would like to thank you all in advance

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:42 pm
Post Re: Book research - Schwarzwald Arena
I worked in the arena for several years alot of memories and stories working with Frank Milton. One story is that during CFEHL games as rink attendants we had to be in the penalty box to open the door for the players when the penalty was over. There wasn't any plexi-glass behind the box until this incident. 1Cag Knights were playing and Gary Birch an Armour was there as usual heckling the 1 Cag players. Mike Venne was in the box and finally had enouph, he jumped the metal barrier behind the box and chased Gary through the crowded bleachers wielding his stick. I think he never did catch Gary cause Gary is still with us. After this incident the plexi-glass was put up behind the penalty box.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:29 am
You're asking a lot, Mike; for some, that was a long time ago. Anyway, off the top I remember playoff games vs. the Knights with goals bringing a deafening response from air horns in the crowd. And it didn't matter who scored as supporters for both sides had horns; there was a war between the two camps. I also remember pipers from the 3 RCR Pipes & Drums playing, at the RSM's 'insistence', before Royal's home games and during the intermissions, (Mike? Rushton and Pat Brody being particularly pleased with this duty). Then there was the time that Mike Wiseman emerged from the rink after practice to find his Mini wedged impossibly sideways between two trees. Mike, given a little time, other anecdotes will likely re-emerge and, when they do, I'll re-visit and share them with you.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:48 pm
how about billy ranford who carried on from there to win the cup twice and the conn smyth

Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]